[avahi] Release todo list.

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 23:30:40 EST 2005

2005/8/6, Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 02:43:51PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Sat, 06.08.05 13:14, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> > > About the version number, i think it should reflect the completness of
> > > the features and the quality of the software.
> > > That's why i'm not sure that we should set use 0.1.
> > >
> > > Developpers will have the choice between avahi and howl, and i don't
> > > think the version number reflects the differences between both
> > > software.
> > >
> > > That'w why i think we should release at 0.8/0.9 to mean that it's
> > > beta/RC and need wider testing to fix remaining bugs and hit 1.0.
> > >
> > > What's your opinion?
> >
> > Modesty is an exclusive trait.
>
> I recall linus doing something like this with linux and then ending up
> with 0.9.98174124124124. :)
Maybe because stabilizing an os is an harder task.

If we want to use linear incrementing version numbers with no special
meaning, i don't see the point of doing
y = x /10 and not y = x :)
That's maybe why most software on freshmeat are 0.x.

My idea was just to use x.y
where x correspond to a list of features being implemented and y are
minor fixes to these features
1.0 is feature complete (for the feature that we wanted in) and means
tha we (developpers) think it's stable enought for other to use.

So then we can start writing a feature list that will end up being
implemented in 2.0.

that just reflects my opinion, and i won't argue any more on the subject :)

> > > Maybe we could fix a release date betwwen mid august and mid
> > > september?
> >
> > What about releasing it when it is ready? ;-)
> >
> > Honestly, we'd be well advised if we'd already release a version
> > 0.1. Though its's a bit late to start with "Release early, release
> > often". ;-)
> >
> > The only missing (code) part ist the C client library which I don't
> > consider essential. Therefore I'd vote for releasing 0.1 this weekend
> > without libavahi-client. Lathiat, what's the current status of your
> > work on that library? I haven't seen you on either IRC nor ICQ in a
> > long time.
>
> Sorry I forgot about #avahi when my client was restarted and I don't
> usually open ICQ.
>
> Should be ready to go in the next few days, i'd prefer to put off 0.1 to
> say, wednesday.
>
> > I will write up some simple manpages using xmltoman.
> Woo. :)
>
> Trent
>

> > Lennart
> >
> > --
> > Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
> > ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/
>
> --
> Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>
> Bur.st Networking Inc.