[avahi] Patch for gentoo compilation

Lennart Poettering mzzhgg at 0pointer.de
Fri Jul 1 06:27:17 PDT 2005

On Fri, 01.07.05 01:14, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:

> > Same thing in avahi-dnsconfd/Makefile.am. AVAHI_SOCKET is the socket
> > of avahi-daemon to connect to. AVAHI_RUNTIME_SCRIPT is the path where
> > to put the PID file. Since avahi-dns-confd puts its PID file directly
> > to /var/run/ (instead of /var/run/avahi/) this should be cleaned up a
> > little anyway.

> I made the modifications for AVAHI_SOCKET and AVAHI_RUNTIME_DIR
> (using config.h) and also modifyed avahai/simple-protocol.c to use
> AVAHI_SOCKET instead of UNIX_SOCKET.

Sorry, you made a mistake here. The values of AVAHI_RUNTIME_DIR where
different for avahi-dnsconfd and avahi-daemon. The former puts it PID
file directly to /var/run/, the latter puts its PID file (and socket
file) into /var/run/avahi/. The current setup works only if
avahi-daemon has been started once before avahi-dnsconfd, since
avahi-daemon contains code to create the avahi subdirectory securely,
while avahi-dnsconfd does not. Since avahi-dnsconfd just puts a single
PID file in /var/run this should not be a problem. Since
avahi-dnsconfd and avahi-daemon run with different priviliges (which
is the main reason for not integrating both into a single daemon) I am
reluctant to duplicate the subdirectory creation code in
avahi-dnsconfd. In short:

    avahi-daemon should put its PID file in
    /var/run/avahi/pid and its socket file in /var/run/avahi/socket

    avahi-dnsconfd should put is PID file in
    /var/run/avahi-dnsconfd.pid

or something similar.

BTW: avahi-dnsconfd should get an init script too. ;-)

name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }
www { http://0pointer.de/lennart/ } icq# { 11060553 }