[avahi] Patch for gentoo compilation

Lennart Poettering mzzhgg at 0pointer.de
Sat Jul 2 08:11:56 PDT 2005

On Fri, 01.07.05 21:02, Steev (steev at steev.net) wrote:

> Also, netstat -gn returns
>
> mebius linux # netstat -gn
> IPv6/IPv4 Group Memberships
> Interface       RefCnt Group
> - --------------- ------ ---------------------
> netstat: no support for `AF INET (igmp)' on this system.
> lo              1      ff02::1
> eth0            1      ff02::1:ff33:fde1
> eth0            1      ff02::1
>

> I am truely clueless :)

It's actually a good idea to enable IP multicasting in your kernel if
you want avahi to work. Seems you disabled it when you built your
kernel.

As the name "Multicast DNS" tells you it relies on "Multicasting".

(IGMP as the group management protocol used for maintaining IP
multicast groups)

Though I am wondering why avahi didn't complain about this by
itself. Or maybe it did? Please check /var/log/daemon.log (or wherever
avahi messages to syslog go to on Gentoo).

name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }
www { http://0pointer.de/lennart/ } icq# { 11060553 }