Fwd: [avahi] Patch for gentoo compilation

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 10:11:04 PDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sebastien Estienne <sebastien.estienne at gmail.com>
Date: 1 juil. 2005 19:10
Subject: Re: [avahi] Patch for gentoo compilation
To: Lennart Poettering <mzzhgg at 0pointer.de>

2005/7/1, Lennart Poettering <mzzhgg at 0pointer.de>:
> On Fri, 01.07.05 16:15, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> > Oh sorry, i think i misunderstood something :)
>
> No problem.
>
> > I thought you wanted to do something like
> > /var/run/avahi/{daemon,dnsconfd}.pid
>
> Yes, I must admit that it was somewhat confusing, since there where
> two #defines with the same name but different values in the two
> directories. Sorry for that.
>
> > >     avahi-daemon should put its PID file in
> > >     /var/run/avahi/pid and its socket file in /var/run/avahi/socket
> > >
> > >     avahi-dnsconfd should put is PID file in
> > >     /var/run/avahi-dnsconfd.pid
> > >
> > > or something similar.
> > Oki i can fix it
> > AVAHI_RUNTIME_DIR could be ${localstatedir}/run
> > so avahi-daemon would use
> > AVAHI_RUNTIME_DIR/avahi/pid (or avahi-daemon/pid?)
> > and avahi-dnsconfd would us
> > AVAHI_RUNTIME_DIR/avahi-dnsconfd.pid
> >
> Looks fine to me.
Oki i'll do this.

> > About AVAHI_SOCKET, is it good like i did?
>
> Yes, that's OK.
>
> > > BTW: avahi-dnsconfd should get an init script too. ;-)
> > No problem, is there any dependencies upon avahi-daemon ? i didn't
> > know if avahi-dnsconfd needed the socket before starting?
>
> Yes. avahi-dnsconfd depends on avahi-daemon. And yes, it needs the
> socket of avahi-daemon. When the avahi daemon is started with -D
> it is guaranteed that the socket is existant when the control is
> returned to the caller.
So maybe it would be better to have one initscript to start both?
Or do you prefer one initscript per process.

I discussed with Lathiat about putting the avahi script iniside
/etc/init.d and symlink to /etc/dbus-1/event.d/ if DBUS is enabled in
configure.

> > Shouldn't we rename avahi in avahi-deamon, i think it would be more
> > coherent?
>
> I thought of this earlier. Lathiat, what do you think? You named it
> "avahi" in the first place, shall we rename it?
>
> Lennart
> >

> --
> name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
> mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }
> www { http://0pointer.de/lennart/ } icq# { 11060553 }

Sebastien Estienne

--
Sebastien Estienne