[avahi] Patch for gentoo compilation

Lennart Poettering mzzhgg at 0pointer.de
Fri Jul 1 16:37:40 PDT 2005

On Fri, 01.07.05 13:22, Steev (steev at steev.net) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Thu, 30.06.05 11:40, Steev (steev at steev.net) wrote:
> > It should. (Although it isn't recommended to run more than one mDNS
> > stack on the same machine simultaneously, which is what you do: one in
> > avahi-discover, and one in avahi-daemon)
> >
> > If avahi-discover doesn't show locally registered services, please run
> > the following command, and show me the output:
> >
> >      dig -p5353 @224.0.0.251 _services._dns-sd._udp.local PTR
> >
> > Do you run a firewall or something which might inhibit mDNS traffic?
> >

> I don't run a firewall, though I do have firestarter installed, I
> haven't run it in a long while.  I have howl 0.9.8 installed, but I do
> not have mDNSresponder installed.  So nothing else should be using the
> mDNS "stack"(is that the correct term?)

I am not a native speaker but I use the terms "mDNS stack", "mDNS
core", "mDNS engine", "mDNS responder" and "mDNS server" almost
interchangeably.

As Lathiat already said, please check if you run a firewall with
"iptables -nvL".

> steev at mebius ~ $ nmap localhost
>
> Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2005-07-01 13:19 CDT
> Interesting ports on mebius (127.0.0.1):
> (The 1662 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
> PORT   STATE SERVICE
> 22/tcp open  ssh
>
> Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.274 seconds
>
> I believe I am still running revision 154 though, I am about to update
> to 159, will try again and post if it changes anything.

mDNS is an UDP service, so better check if "netstat -ulpn" returns
anything for port 5353. And if "netstat -gn" shows a line for "224.0.0.251".

Thanks,

name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }
www { http://0pointer.de/lennart/ } icq# { 11060553 }