[avahi] DBUS API completed

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Sat Jul 30 11:21:43 EST 2005

On Sat, 30.07.05 09:08, Trent Lloyd (lathiat at bur.st) wrote:

> > Any real documentation isn't available yet. Enums are wrapped as
> > integers for the client, so it might be non-trivial to make use of
> > them. Consult core.h if you need the integer value of an enum.
> >
> > A pygtk tool similar to avahi-discover but using this DBUS-API should
> > be easy to write. Anyone?
> >
> > A C client wrapper hiding the DBUS subtleties is still to be done.
>
> I am currently working on this.
>
> Unfortunately dbus in C isn't quite as nice as in python :)

Though the Python API looks clean on first sight, it really isn't. It
has lots and lots of bugs. (i.e. you cannot send empty string lists,
which is very annoying for adding services with a TXT list. To
workaround this I had to add some funny code to avahi-publish-service,
see for yourself)

The C API is much stabler.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/