[avahi] Patch for gentoo compilation

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 01:52:10 PDT 2005

In my opinion, everything that the emake install script install should be there.
It''s upon us to customize the autotools to install only the needed things.

2005/6/30, Steev <steev at steev.net>:

> Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> > i'll review your patch and commit it (seems to look good).
> >
> > About the ebuild i couldn't test it yet.
> > But i think that the econf things should be in "src_compile" function
> > not in "src_unpack"
> > And did you test something like this for installation:
> > src_install() {
> >       emake install DESTDIR=${D} || die "install failed"
> > }
>
> Well, this does appear to work quite well.  I guess my question is now,
> it creates a /usr/include/avahi-{client,core,common} which are empty.
I think they should contains headers, maybe we need to fix something,
i'll investigate.

> Should they be?  I have no idea what all should actually be installed,
> so im going to list what that does by default.
You shouldn't have to worry about this.

> Creates (if they don't exist)
>
> /etc/avahi (and /etc/avahi/services)
good

> which has the following files...
>
> avahi.conf dnsconf.action (in /etc/avahi)
> example.service which goes in /etc/avahi/services
Maybe example.services should be rename example.services.sample whith
some comments at the beginning of it to explain it's purpose

> A little side note about example.service, I believe if avahi were picked
> up by Gentoo for portage, the example.service would be patched or a line
> sed'd to change the host-name from fuck.local to something like,
> $hostname.local - is that even possible, to have a variable instead of
> hardcoding?
I think it's possible, and maybe already done, moreover we mustn't
have some  f-words inside :)
What the f. :)

> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
> which has the avahi-dbus.conf file
>
> /etc/init.d/
> which has the avahi init script
>
> /usr/{bin,include,lib,share}
> /usr/bin includes avahi, avahi-discover and avahi-dnsconfd
> /usr/include has those empty directories
> /usr/lib has
>
> libavahi-client.
> libavahi-common.
> libavahi-core.
> {a,la,so,so.0,so.0.0.0}
>
> /usr/share/avahi which has the avahi-service.dtd and interfaces
> subdirectory which has the glade file.
all this is good

does avahi-discover works?

> Am I missing anything else?
I think we should fix the autotools a bit to install headers and .pc files
What about the doxygen doc?
I can try to fix these little issues

for the ebuild you could/should add some dodoc README etc....

> Thanks again for the help!
thanx for you work

--
Sebastien Estienne