[avahi] Patch for gentoo compilation

Steev steev at steev.net
Thu Jun 30 04:03:47 PDT 2005

Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> In my opinion, everything that the emake install script install should be there.
> It''s upon us to customize the autotools to install only the needed things.

Good idea, because then I don't have to figure it out :P

>>i'll review your patch and commit it (seems to look good).

I am attaching the patch again (it applies cleanly against r154 as well
as 153, until it gets committed to svn, its required to install create
the proper init script as well as tell it where it should properly be.
I am also attaching the new ebuild that I have, I used it to install,
and aside from starting (takes too long to get a response) the only
other issue I have is, it *appears* that /var/lib/run/avahi is hardcoded
in /usr/bin/avahi (i ran strings /usr/bin/avahi | grep run) and on
gentoo we don't use /var/lib/run, we use /var/run - not sure where to
change this.  Although since I am just testing it out to make sure it
works, I created /var/lib/run/avahi for it.

>> I think they should contains headers, maybe we need to fix something,
>> i'll investigate.

Thought so too, but didn't want to get that far into it.

> /usr/share/avahi which has the avahi-service.dtd and interfaces
> subdirectory which has the glade file.
>
>> all this is good
>
>> does avahi-discover works?

avahi-discover "works" although, I don't get anything in my list at all.
    I do have sshd running.

> Am I missing anything else?
>
>> I think we should fix the autotools a bit to install headers and .pc files

As I apparently cannot currently start avahi from the init script (oh,
did I mention I am on dialup....) due to it taking too long to get a
response, this is the output of me running avahi from the commandline.

mebius ~ # avahi
Found user 'avahi' (UID 409) and group 'avahi' (GID 409).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
Enumeration complete
Server startup complete.  Host name is <mebius.local.>
iface.c: avahi_server_add_service() failed.
** Message: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus,
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus, member=NameAcquired
** Message: dbus: ServiceAcquired (:1.5)
** Message: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus,
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus, member=NameAcquired
** Message: dbus: ServiceAcquired (org.freedesktop.Avahi)

and a sudo avahi -r from another terminal adds

Got SIGHUP, reloading.
Service "Remote Terminal on mebius"
(/etc/avahi/services/example.service) successfully established

and sudo avahi -k adds
GOT SIGTERM, quitting.

Side note, patch is same one from before, just added in case someone
didn't search the archives, apologize for wasting anyone's bandwidth.
Ebuild is renamed to avahi-svn-9999.ebuild to corespond to cvs ebuild
numbering in portage, though just modifying the .0.0.0.ebuild that I
previously patched should work as well.

I have a [ -n ${DOCS} ] && dodoc ${DOCS} line in there to install all
the files listed on the DOCS= line.  I stole that from the gnome2
eclass, since I had added the DOCS= line but the docs weren't getting
installed.  I am not sure if the first part of the line is un-necessary,
but I am sure someone who is more familiar with ebuilds will let me know :)

One other thing - I am using dbus .34 (and it appears to work fine :) )
so I would appreciate if someone using the old dbus .23 that is in
portage would let me know if it works for them as well?

- --
Steev Klimaszewski
www.steev.net
steev at steev.net