[Fwd: Re: [avahi] Patch for gentoo compilation]

Lennart Poettering mzzhgg at 0pointer.de
Thu Jun 30 05:42:28 PDT 2005

On Wed, 29.06.05 20:50, Steev (steev at steev.net) wrote:

Most of the questions have already been answered by Sebastien, but I
have some additions:

> Well, this does appear to work quite well.  I guess my question is now,
> it creates a /usr/include/avahi-{client,core,common} which are empty.
> Should they be?

No, they should not. I fixed that right now. Thanks for noticing!

Umm, actually, ... Sebastien already fixed that a few minutes ago. ;-)

> avahi.conf dnsconf.action (in /etc/avahi)
> example.service which goes in /etc/avahi/services

example.service is just an example. You probably shouldn't put any
file there. The directory is designed to allow other locally installed
packages to register static services in avahi. e.g. ssh may put a file
there with the following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
  <name replace-wildcards="yes">Remote Terminal on %h</name>
  <service>
    <type>_ssh._tcp</type>
    <port>22</port>
  </service>
</service-group>

This will register a DNS-SD service of type _ssh._tcp on the local
machine. Please talk to the maintainers of other Gentoo server
software packages (like sshd, any ftpd, telnetd, any imapd/pop3d, any
ldapd, any ntpd, http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html).

Server packages which do register mor dynamic services (like httpds)
should probably connect dynamically to avahi to publish its servers,
but for simple static servers these XML fragments should be fine.

> A little side note about example.service, I believe if avahi were picked
> up by Gentoo for portage, the example.service would be patched or a line
> sed'd to change the host-name from fuck.local to something like,
> $hostname.local - is that even possible, to have a variable instead of
> hardcoding?

Just drop the line completely. If no <host-name> tag is included the
name of the local host will be used. (The SSH example above shows
that)

The <host-name> tag is just for registering services on other
hosts. Doing this is probably a bad idea anyway.

> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
> which has the avahi-dbus.conf file
>
> /etc/init.d/
> which has the avahi init script
>
> /usr/{bin,include,lib,share}
> /usr/bin includes avahi, avahi-discover and avahi-dnsconfd
> /usr/include has those empty directories
> /usr/lib has
>
> libavahi-client.
> libavahi-common.
> libavahi-core.
> {a,la,so,so.0,so.0.0.0}

Looks fine.

> /usr/share/avahi which has the avahi-service.dtd and interfaces
> subdirectory which has the glade file.
>
> Am I missing anything else?

Probably not.

> Thanks again for the help!

You're welcome.

name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }
www { http://0pointer.de/lennart/ } icq# { 11060553 }