[avahi] Re: [avahi-commits] r637 - /trunk/service-type-database/service-types

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Thu Sep 29 11:27:29 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 07:15:43PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > >Yes, A BSD license would be nice for that. Does the list exist in a
> > >form that is more easily parsed for generating a gdbm file?
> >
> > Yeah, we've had requests for this.  Just haven't gotten around to it
> > yet.
>
> Do I have your informal assurance that it is OK if we integrate that
> database into our software under a BSDish license right now? (no APSL
> please!)

> > >Hmm, HTTP 1.0/1.1 are completely upwards and downwards compatible as
> > >far as I know. However this is not true for RSS 0.91 vs. RSS
> > >2.0. That's why I used different service types for them.
> >
> > I pretty much know nothing about RSS, but according to this site.
> >
> > <http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss>
> >
> > "The elements defined in this document are not themselves members of
> > a namespace, so that RSS 2.0 can remain compatible with previous
> > versions in the following sense -- a version 0.91 or 0.92 file is
> > also a valid 2.0 file. If the elements of RSS 2.0 were in a
> > namespace, this constraint would break, a version 0.9x file would not
> > be a valid 2.0 file. "
> >
> > So it sounds like a client that understands RSS 2.0 feeds will also
> > understand RSS 0.9.x feeds.  This means that older RSS clients
> > browsing for "_rss" might discover newer 2.0 feeds that they wouldn't
> > be able to parse.  I'll bet that if a customer came across a feed
> > that they couldn't read, they would quickly replace their out-dated
> > RSS client with a newer version, so this problem solves itself.
>
> Not quite. RSS2.0 doesn't pass validation with a RSS0.91 DTD. (And I
> guess the other way around it is true too). Some RSS parsers do a DTD
> validity check before processing the RSS data. (ideally all should)

It's worth nothing that most applications publish both an RSS0.91 and
2.0 feed, so some separation may be worthy.

However, applications should adapt to the feed type and using more than
1 type means we will have to keep changing the publish services down the
line, and maybe in 10 years we will have 8 different rss services being
published. :)

Trent

> > Actually, it's "sftp-ssh".  The only reason we did that was because
> > the IANA protocol list already had an "sftp", Simple File Transfer
> > Protocol, so we had to pick something else.
> >
> > <http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>
> >
> > We decided on "SFTP over SSH", or "sftp-ssh".  Similar sounding to
> > "TCP over IP" or "TCP/IP".  I guess since RSS could use a different
> > transport protocol, then it might make sense to call it "RSS over
> > HTTP", "rss-http".
>
> Ok, I guess I could live with that.
>
> > >BTW: May I politely ask you to add a link to Avahi on either
> > >dns-sd.org or multicastdns.org, the way you already added a link to
> > >those Java, Ruby or Python implementations?
> >
> > No problem.  I added a link for you.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
> ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/

Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>
Bur.st Networking Inc.