[avahi] Re: 64bbit woes with Avahi

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Mon Apr 24 15:08:11 PDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:41:25PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am writing you because all four of you have posted a 64bit related
> patch for avahi. Namely:
>
>       http://avahi.org/ticket/35
>       http://avahi.org/ticket/32
>       http://avahi.org/ticket/9
>       http://avahi.org/ticket/19
>
> Somehow this looks like it is the same problem. However, the patches
> contradict each other. I am quite unsure what to do about this
> issue. What is the right fix? Is there a way that works for all of us?
> i386, ia64, amd64?
>
> I am currently tempted to merge Marcus' patch since it seems to be
> what the API docs (notably the man page cmsg(3) on Linux)
> suggest.
>
> Jason, would this break Avahi on ia64? What solution do you suggest?
>
> Please understand that I don't own any 64bit machine (be it ia64 or
> amd64), hence I am not going to find a solution that works for all of
> us all by myself. I am relying on you to agree on a working fix.

My second patch
(http://avahi.org/attachment/ticket/19/03_cmsg_too_large.2.patch), should work
on ia64 (it keeps the ia64 bugfix that was done earlier) and i've tested it on
sparc64 and ppc64 (both running with 32 bit userspace) and on amd64 (obviously
with a 64 bit userspace).

My first patch was basically the same as Marcus', but i was told that it
reverted a fix for ia64. Hence my second patch :)

Debian unstable has had this patch to avahi since about a month and i didn't
receive a bug reports about it. But it still would be nice to have someone test
it on ia64 (especially if that's the one going into the release)..

  Sjoerd
--
If you are smart enough to know that you're not smart enough to be an
Engineer, then you're in Business.