[avahi] Can't browse published services

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Dec 29 09:47:47 PST 2006

On Thu, 28.12.06 09:07, robert (robert at atlantico.com.br) wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi!

> Dec 28 08:00:46 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3322]: dbus-service-type-browser.c:
> interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.ServiceTypeBrowser,
> path=/Client1/ServiceTypeBrowser1, member=Free

This DBUS API call ("ServiceTypeBrowser::Free") frees a service type
*browser* object - i.e. it has probably nothing to do with KPFS which
should call something like "EntryGroupNew" - a function for
*registering* services.. Instead this call was
probably issued by some browsing app, perhaps avahi-discover. (or
perhaps Konqueror - which I hope not, since konqueror would behave
badly if that was the case)

> That seems to be my event. I can't use avahi-browse to see the service though,
> nor zeroconf:/ in konqueror , nor a program called mdns-scan . I'm sure I'm
> just missing something simple. Any ideas ? Please advise what config info I
> can supply if needed.

Please note that "avahi-browse -a" does not necessarily show all
services. If you specify the proper service type (i.e. something like
_ftp._tcp) it should show all matching services, however.

Does KPF spit out any error message on STDERR?

Have you tried using kdnssd-avahi instead of going over libdns_sd?

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/