[avahi] breaking avahi through vpn

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Feb 12 05:42:47 PST 2006

On Sun, 12.02.06 13:32, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:

> what about doing something like the relaying gateways that i suggested
> to fill the need for zeroconf with vpn?

> Would it work? they wouldn't forward the query, but exchange the
> browsing list on a regular basis (or something equivalent)
>
> what are your opinions?

I suppose you mean something similar to Samba's "remote browse sync"
option?

I don't think it is feasible to implement something like this for
mDNS. In contrast to SMB servers mDNS responders never compile
something like a complete browse list, hence there is nothing two
servers could exchange.

Avahi already does forwarding of mDNS traffic between multiple
interfaces. If latency is good enough you may use that to bridge two
networks.

Unicast DNS is definitely preferable when it comes to high latency
links. There's no point in trying to modify mDNS in a way that it is
capable of coping with high latency. There is already unicast DNS which
is perfectly capable to deal with situations like that.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/