[avahi] breaking avahi through vpn

Max Kutny mkutny at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 06:04:26 PST 2006

On 2/12/06, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 12.02.06 13:32, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > what about doing something like the relaying gateways that i suggested
> > to fill the need for zeroconf with vpn?
>
> I don't think it is feasible to implement something like this for
> mDNS. In contrast to SMB servers mDNS responders never compile
> something like a complete browse list, hence there is nothing two
> servers could exchange.
>
> Unicast DNS is definitely preferable when it comes to high latency
> links. There's no point in trying to modify mDNS in a way that it is
> capable of coping with high latency. There is already unicast DNS which
> is perfectly capable to deal with situations like that.

Since I'm not (m)DNS guru could point me to the right direction?
Ordinary users use avahi as a tool that allows them to register their
services (mostly file shares over WebDAV) so public file sharing
behaves similar to Window's one. I'm not sure that similar could be
accomplished with classic DNS.

-- Max