[avahi] Installation on SuSE 10.0

Peter Onion Peter.Onion at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 19 14:01:16 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 22:25 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 19.02.06 21:19, Peter Onion (Peter.Onion at btinternet.com) wrote:

> > But if it did exist then it didn't get closed and that is was causing
> > the problem here, NOT the "broken" parser.
>
> Hmm. I really don't see why a leaked fd should make avahi freeze.

No, neither do I, it's very strange !  It failed  in the same way on
Three different processor types (Intel Celeron, AMD 64, VIA C3).

> Where exactly does Avahi freeze,

I don't know.   The lack of any debugging output in syslog after the
chroot is also a bit of a mystery to me.

>  btw? Have you tried to run avahi with strace on the console?

No.  The problem I had was with Yast (SuSE's set up tool) trying to
start the avahi-daemon via /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon.  That was the case
that I was having trouble with and I'mnot sure if I could have used
strace in that situation.

Peter.