[avahi] Installation on SuSE 10.0

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Feb 19 16:46:14 PST 2006

On Sun, 19.02.06 22:01, Peter Onion (Peter.Onion at btinternet.com) wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 22:25 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Sun, 19.02.06 21:19, Peter Onion (Peter.Onion at btinternet.com) wrote:
>

> > > But if it did exist then it didn't get closed and that is was causing
> > > the problem here, NOT the "broken" parser.
> >
> > Hmm. I really don't see why a leaked fd should make avahi freeze.
>
> No, neither do I, it's very strange !  It failed  in the same way on
> Three different processor types (Intel Celeron, AMD 64, VIA C3).

Hmm. Could you make it freeze again and then run "ls -al
/proc/$PID/fd/" (replacing $PID with the PID of the main daemon)?

This should show you exactly which file descriptors are opened and to
which file they point.

> > Where exactly does Avahi freeze,
>
> I don't know.   The lack of any debugging output in syslog after the
> chroot is also a bit of a mystery to me.

Hmm. Please try altering the init script to run avahi-daemon with "strace
-o /tmp/avahi-strace.log" or something and than use it again with YAST.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/