[avahi] How do i publish my ip in the network

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Mon Jun 12 17:56:19 PDT 2006

Hi Anton,

Avahi doesn't have the facility to simply "get all the IPs of all
computers on the network" - you may be able to do this to some extent
using the _workstation._tcp service, but not all machines are guaranteed
to be publishing this.

If this is for a specific service, then I recommend you run avahi on
each computer and publish a service for whatever you are doing, then you
can start a service browser, find all computers advertising that service,
then iterate over them to get their addresses.

Perhaps if you give some more details on exactly what you are trying to
do, I can help further...

Cheers,
Trent

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 12:54:39AM +0200, anton feldmann wrote:
> Hi
> my name is anton. I want to know how do i publish the my computer's ip
> in the local network with Avahi? I already wrote a program to send the
> server ip to a client , but it is cost-effective, it's written with c
> using sockets.
> How do i get all Ip's of all computer in the local network using the
> same System (Linux debian) suing avahi?
>
> cheers
>
> anton

Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>