[avahi] How do i publish my ip in the network

Anton Feldmann anton.feldmann at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jun 19 03:13:00 PDT 2006

Hi Trent

In basic we have a selfbooting CD like knoppix and we have to make it
work for parallel computing.
I want to publish the computer IP's in a network because, I want to
write the IP's into a hostfile. We have to write a program that are
filling a hostfile for PVM and MPI. PVM and MPI needs a hostfile for
parallel computing. I wrote a program, but you have to write down the
Servers name and the client find the server and gets the IP. I was
thinking about to upgrade the program by makeing a loop to all 255
addresses in an network. But I have to do it 6 times per minute and it
seems really bat, because the hugh network overhead.

I was thinking: If you booting the cd a client-server application is
starting. The client is looking in the network for the IP addresses of
the servers and write the IP's down into the hostfile.
I want to try avahi to brows the IP's in the network.

cherrs

anton