[avahi] Problem resolving service without TXT records

Mihai Ibanescu misa+avahi at redhat.com
Fri May 5 12:43:44 PDT 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 09:34:42PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 05.05.06 15:23, Mihai Ibanescu (misa+avahi at redhat.com) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed more people reported this on various web pages, is this
> > known? If I
>
> "Various web pages"? Where exactly?

The one that I found right away was:

http://eric.extremeboredom.net/

I seem to remember another one mentioning the same thing.

> > try to resolve (using unicast DNS) a service that does not have a TXT record,
> > it will fail. It seems to need an empty TXT record at the very
> > least.
>
> An SRV record without a matching TXT record is not a valid DNS-SD
> service, hence Avahi will treat this as an error. If you don't need
> the TXT record, than set it a single empty string.

Ah, I was able to find that, but it's kind of buried in the specs.

http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd.txt section 6:

   Every DNS-SD service MUST have a TXT record in
   addition to its SRV record, with same name, even if the service has
   no additional data to store and the TXT record contains no more than
   a single zero byte.

Not a bug, sorry for wasting your time.

Misa