[avahi] Making avahi work on Solaris

Padraig O'Briain Padraig.Obriain at Sun.COM
Sat May 20 01:12:33 PDT 2006

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 19.05.06 08:50, Padraig O'Briain (Padraig.Obriain at Sun.COM) wrote:
>

>> I have returned to making avahi work on Solaris.
>>
>> As I am not on linux I am  using iface-pfroute.c. As sysctl does not
>> exist on Solaris, the function avahi-interface_monitor_sync does not
>> identify any interfaces.
>>
>> It looks like I need to use the SIOCGIGCONF ioctl to find the
>> interfaces.
>>
>> Is this correct?
>>

> I honestly don't know. Only Linux SIOCGIFCONF only returns IPv4
> addresses, hence I doubt this what you're looking for.
>
> A quick search with Google tells me that SIOCGLIFCONF is hwat you're
> looking for.

It seems that on Solaris that SIOCGIFCONF will return IPv4 addresses and
as the code I am writing will not be run on linux I will stick with
SIOCGIFCONF, at least for the present.

I have noticed that AvahiHwInterface has a field called mac_address but
I have noticed where it is used.

I have got to the stage where I am receiving packets but I have hot a
strange problem problem which occurs on x86 but not on sparc:

In avahi_recv_dns_packet_ipv4 the interface number is obtained from the
message header of type IP_RECVIP. On x86 the interface number is zero.

Can avahi work around this?

Padraig