[avahi] bonjour ie plugin & avahi (netbios)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 24 12:57:59 PDT 2006

On Wed, 24.05.06 20:41, Chris McHarg (chris.mcharg at gmail.com) wrote:

> This isn't strictly about Avahi, but I thought I'd give it a shot here
> anyway...
>
> I've been working with Avahi on linux machines and using Apple's ie bonjour
> plugin (on winxp) to browse the published http services.  I noticed that
> each page access would take relatively long time to return... around 3 secs.
>
> Looking at the packet dump, it seems that windows issues NBNS queries
> (NetBIOS) for the Avahi published .local hostname, and spends a second or
> two waiting for replies.
>
> The two ways I can think of to get around this is to either turn off NetBios
> on the windows side, or maybe run nmbd on the linux side.  However, I think
> both options have problems... turning off NetBios disables windows work
> group display, etc, and there'd have to be some sort of system for passing
> the current published .local hostname to nmbd.
>
> Has anyone else got any ideas on this?

I thought NetBIOS queries are obsolete these days, even on
Windows. Didn't they replace their own name lookup protocol with
classic DNS?

Consider asking the Apple/Bonjour guys about this issue, they'll
probably know their software better than we do.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/