[avahi] bonjour ie plugin & avahi (netbios)

Marc Krochmal marc at apple.com
Wed May 24 15:30:32 PDT 2006

Hi Chris,

On May 24, 2006, at 4:41 AM, Chris McHarg wrote:

> This isn't strictly about Avahi, but I thought I'd give it a shot
> here anyway...
>
> I've been working with Avahi on linux machines and using Apple's ie
> bonjour plugin (on winxp) to browse the published http services.  I
> noticed that each page access would take relatively long time to
> return... around 3 secs.
>
> Looking at the packet dump, it seems that windows issues NBNS
> queries (NetBIOS) for the Avahi published .local hostname, and
> spends a second or two waiting for replies.
>
> The two ways I can think of to get around this is to either turn off
> NetBios on the windows side, or maybe run nmbd on the linux side.
> However, I think both options have problems... turning off NetBios
> disables windows work group display, etc, and there'd have to be
> some sort of system for passing the current published .local
> hostname to nmbd.
>
> Has anyone else got any ideas on this?

This is a known issue with the Bonjour mDNS resolver plugin for
Windows that we probably can't fix.  The way the Windows NSP
architecture works is that when a name lookup is requested, Windows
passes the name to all the plugins so they can take action as
necessary.  In the case of dot-local name lookups, the mDNS plugin
gets called which issues the mDNS query and it usually gets the
response within a few milliseconds, and then it passes its results
back up to Windows.  However, Windows doesn't pass these results back
to the client application until the Windows built-in DNS resolver has
timed out, which normally takes around 2 seconds.

So unfortunately, I don't know of any way to get around this, but now
that you mention it, I wonder if this delay is caused by NetBIOS
queries, and not by DNS queries.

-Marc