[avahi] bonjour ie plugin & avahi (netbios)

Chris McHarg chris.mcharg at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:49:31 PDT 2006

On 25/05/06, Marc Krochmal <marc at apple.com> wrote:

> This is a known issue with the Bonjour mDNS resolver plugin for
> Windows that we probably can't fix.  The way the Windows NSP
> architecture works is that when a name lookup is requested, Windows
> passes the name to all the plugins so they can take action as
> necessary.  In the case of dot-local name lookups, the mDNS plugin
> gets called which issues the mDNS query and it usually gets the
> response within a few milliseconds, and then it passes its results
> back up to Windows.  However, Windows doesn't pass these results back
> to the client application until the Windows built-in DNS resolver has
> timed out, which normally takes around 2 seconds.
>
> So unfortunately, I don't know of any way to get around this, but now
> that you mention it, I wonder if this delay is caused by NetBIOS
> queries, and not by DNS queries.

Thanks for that Marc.

I have confirmed that disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP stops windows from
issuing the NBNS queries, and wait time for the page refresh drops
from the approx. 3 secs to around 1sec.

I guess mac osx naturally doesn't implement a NetBIOS name server
either and therefore has the same issue when working with windows?