[avahi] Network printer issues

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Thu May 25 19:08:39 PDT 2006

Hi Celso,

The reason for this is that avahi-browse -a uses a method of discovery
which first determines what services types are available on the network,
and then goes and queries those service types - now not all devices (and
apparently not your printer) advertise that they are advertise service
types (if that makes sense.)

If you specifically browsed for the printer with avahi-browse
_printer._tcp, it would appear.

I do wonder if avahi-browse should look for a common bunch of services
by default?

Cheers,
Trent

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:48:40PM +0100, Celso Pinto wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> at work we have a network printer that supports ZeroConf advertising
> (and indeed it's advertising itself on the network) but I can't manage
> to get it displayed when running avahi-browse -a.
>
> So I dug up the printer configuration and noticed that it advertises
> itself on the local network as printer_name._printer._tcp.local. Is
> there a way for me to force Avahi to recognize this pattern and actually
> display this printer when I run avahi-browse?
>
> I have CUPS with DNSSD enabled but it doesn't display this printer and
> I'm guessing it's because Avahi skips it. If this should be completely
> transparent to Avahi let me know and also apologise for bothering you
> with these small details.
>
> Cheers,
> Celso

Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>