[avahi] Do I need to do the avahi_service_resolver_free

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Dec 17 10:28:20 PST 2007

On Fri, 30.11.07 15:21, Arhold (arhold at gmail.com) wrote:

Hi!

> In this scenario - service unreachable and then recovered, which is the
> right way to handle in browser side? Is it necessary to call
> avahi_service_resolver_free when AVAHI_RESOLVER_FAILURE? I try to remove
> that code and when the netif was recovered, the browser will be able t o get
> the service again.

If you keep the AvahiServiceResolver object around after having
received the first AVAHI_RESOLVER_FOUND or AVAHI_RESOLVE_FAILURE
event, then you will be notified whenever the service
disappears/reappers/changes. It is perfectly valid to keep the
resolver around for applications which want to constantly monitor a
service and its service data.

Please note however, that usually resolving a service is a "one-shot"
thing, i.e. it should only be issued when actually connecting to a
service, and not already when discovering it. There are only very few
exceptions where the constant monitoring makes sense, one of them
being iChat's _presence._tcp.

I hope this answers your question. I didn't fully understood your
problem, so if this does not answer your question, feel free to ask
again.