[avahi] Newbie to avahi, minimum install reqs?

Simo Hosio zion at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Feb 6 19:08:41 PST 2007

Hi to all,

I am intending to start using ovahi on MAEMO platform (Nokia 770 & N800
Internet tablets, based on Debian Linux). And the initial problem is that I
am not too familiar with Linux / C environment :)

I am able to install maemo libraries needed for running mDNS SD from ARMEL
packages found elsewhere(avahi-daemon, libavahi-client3,
libavahi-common-data, libavahi-common3 and libavahi-core4).

However, I suppose I need the libavahi-client-dev also installed in my
developer environment (using scratchbox). I have tried poking it around
manually, copying the headers to /usr/include and the .pc file for
pkgdonfig to /usr/lib/pkgconfig... Is this enough? Or how do I do it the
"right" way, i.e. does Avahi package contain a handy way to install single
components from sources, since ARMEL packages are not available.

What do I need to do in order to make e.g. the client-browse, and
client-publish working? Meaning the basic examples at avahi homepages..
compiling them with "gcc client-browse-services.c `pkg-config avahi-client
--cflags --libs'" just says:

/scratchbox/compilers/cs2005q3.2-glibc-arm/lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/3.4.4/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld:
cannot find -lavahi-common

so obviously something needs more setupping :) My usr/lib has the following
avahi components:

libavahi-client.so.3
libavahi-client.so.3.1.1
libavahi-common.so.3
libavahi-common.so.3.3.0
libavahi-core.so.4
libavahi-core.so.4.0.1

I would dearly appreciate any help in this, since I think Avahi would do a
great job running on those lightweight devices also. Canola media player
at least uses it already on Maemo platform, and I Wish to do the same.

Best Regards,
Simo Hosio