[avahi] Announcing libavahi-ui

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 8 04:40:56 PST 2007

On Thu, 08.02.07 12:50, Sjoerd Simons (sjoerd at luon.net) wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 02:24:51PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just commited the first version of libavahi-ui to Avahi SVN, some
> > code I hacked up during my flights from and to linux.conf.au. This is
> > a library which implements a common service browsing dialog for GTK.
>
> Related to this. For Salut (the telepathy link-local xmpp CM) i did some code
> which wraps various parts of the avahi API in GObjects. Which makes it much
> nicer to work with in a GLib program.
>
> My original intention was to refactor/complete these for potential inclusion in
> avahi-glib.  Unfortunately due to a lack of time on my side this still hasn't
> happend. But if someone else is interested at working on this, please feel free
> to do so :) Imho most of the work would be in adding the parts that i didn't
> wrap yet. (Assuming avahi upstream likes the current api it offers)

I'd love to see this included in avahi-glib. Though a few things like
domain and record browsers would still need wrapping. (and what is
this "freeze" thing about in the entry group stuff?)

oh, and G_GNUC_NULL_TERMINATED is quite useful for vaarg functions.

A while ago Davyd Madeley started a similar project which however he
stopped working on. Before we start merging your code into Avahi I'd
like to have his feedback on your work, since he is an experienced
GLib/Gtk hacker and obviously interested in this area.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/