[avahi] Can't browse published services

robert robert at atlantico.com.br
Wed Jan 3 08:42:02 PST 2007

Em Quarta 03 Janeiro 2007 09:24, Lennart Poettering escreveu:
Thanks for the help Lennart, obviously I'm very newbie:

> > > Please note that "avahi-browse -a" does not necessarily show all
> > > services. If you specify the proper service type (i.e. something like
> > > _ftp._tcp) it should show all matching services, however.
> >
> > OK, I tried 'avahi-browse  _http._tcp' and 'avahi-browse  _ftp._tcp'  but
> > no luck.
>
> You're doing this on the local machine?

Yes.

> Do you have a firewall running, blocking port 5353?
nmap both locally and via another machine on the lan seems to imply 5353 is
open:

/root> nmap -sU -p5353 10.101.43.10

Starting nmap 3.81 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2007-01-03 12:50 WET
Interesting ports on 10.101.43.10:
PORT     STATE         SERVICE
5353/udp open|filtered unknown
MAC Address: 00:11:11:E3:CF:84 (Intel)

> Does "avahi-resolve yourhost.local" work? (Replace yourhost with your
> local host name, of course)

Now we may be getting somewhere. No, it doesn't work:

 /root> hostname
linux-robert
[linux-robert(root)]
 /root> /usr/local/bin/avahi-resolve -n linux-robert.local
Failed to resolve host name 'linux-robert.local': Timeout reached

> Does "dig -p 5353 @224.0.0.251 yourhost.local" work?

Nope:

 /root> dig -p 5353 @224.0.0.251 linux-robert.local

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> -p 5353 @224.0.0.251 linux-robert.local
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd

> Did Avahi detect a suitable network interface? You should look for
> "New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS" or similar in
> syslog. Avahi doesn't really work if there's no network interface to send
> data on. Avahi ignores non-ethernet interfaces, and those where
> MULTICAST is disabled.

I got the message:

Jan  2 07:05:31 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3342]: New relevant interface
eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.

I think multicast is enabled, but if there's somewhere in /proc or something I
can check let me know.

 /root> ifconfig
eth0       Encapsulamento do Link: Ethernet  Endereço de HW 00:11:11:E3:CF:84
          inet end.: 10.101.43.10  Bcast:10.101.47.255  Masc:255.255.248.0
          endereço inet6: fe80::211:11ff:fee3:cf84/64 Escopo:Link
          UP BROADCASTRUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Métrica:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:126001517 (120.1 Mb)  TX bytes:31925929 (30.4 Mb)
          IRQ:169

> > > Does KPF spit out any error message on STDERR?
> >
> > It gives me a dialog box saying 'success' on boot and also when adding
> > adding a service. I see no kpf errors in the standard places, but I'm
> > still looking.
>
> A dialog box saying "success"? What's the point of such a dialog?
>
> Lennart

My guess is that since its a service allowing other machines to access a
directory under /home , it lets you know that its been succesfully published
when the desktop comes up. Really I don't need to use kpf - it just seemed
like an easy way to test avahi . My goal here is to get my feet wet for a
linux embedded project using avahi .

Thanks!
Robert
--
Faster, better, cheaper - choose two of the above.   - Old engineering proverb

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.   - Another old
engineering proverb