[avahi] AXIS Cameras, Again

Mark Gollahon mgollahon at exacq.com
Tue Jun 26 05:58:50 PDT 2007

Hello,

I've read the AXIS camera thread posted on this forum from over a year
ago and I would like some help on getting my code working with Avahi.

Some background - I've written my own AXIS camera "finder" utility using
Apple's daemon since I needed it on Windows first (no Avahi on Windows
yet).  I've subsequently ported it to Linux.  Now I need it to work with
Avahi since the newer distros are including Avahi by default.

Furthermore, this utility sends the resulting list of cameras and IP
addresses to a recipient that is *not* link-local, so the routeable IP
addresses are really what I am after.  However, I can't figure out how
to get Avahi to report all addresses it has so that I can do the
filtering - I've already got the filtering in place.

I've noticed that PING can get the routeable addresses through NSS, but
my utility cannot (it uses getaddrinfo() to get all addresses instead of
gethostbyname() like PING does).

Can someone tell me what parameters I need to use with getaddrinfo() to
get the routeable addresses through Avahi?

Thank you!
-Mark Gollahon