[avahi] Google Summer of Code & Avahi

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 15 16:56:51 PDT 2007

Hi!

As you might already know, we, the Avahi project, applied as an
organization for the Google Summer of Code 2007. Unfortunately our
application got rejected, along with quite a few other projects
(including some very high-profile ones like GStreamer!):

    http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/gsoc-avahi.html

Anyway, although I still wonder what kind of criteria Google uses to
choose GSoC projects, we have to accept their decision, and look
ahead. There might be a chance to do a GSOC project under the GNOME
umbrella instead of our own. GNOME after all did get accepted as GSoC
organization.

Prior to our application we already had compiled a list of exciting
projects for GSOC:

     http://avahi.org/wiki/GoogleSummerOfCode

>From the items listed therein especially "Improved Integration into
GNOME" might be a good thing for a GSoC project under the GNOME
umbrella. Other items that might fit are the language support items.

So, if anyone is interested in doing a GSOC project for Avahi and
GNOME as a student, please contact Trent or me, and we'll see what we
can do. Of course you don't have to take any of the items from the
list, you can always suggest something completely different - be
creative. the list only contains item that I came up with, items that
I'd love to see worked on.

Have fun,

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/