[avahi] Does Avahi support unicast domain enumeration?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun May 13 15:01:08 PDT 2007

On Sat, 12.05.07 18:10, Joshua ChaitinPollak (jpollak at kivasystems.com) wrote:

> >> When I run 'avahi-browse-domains', nothing happens, as in, the
> >> program runs but just sits there. I assume its not finding anything.
> >> What do I need to get it to respond? I've already got b._dns-
> >> sd._udp,  lb._dns-sd._udp, and db._dns-sd._udp entries in my DNS
> >> record. Do I need anything else?
> >
> > How did you set these RRs up? And where? Which domain?
>
> Well, basically, I setup the client to be in the sd.mydomain.com
> domain, with sd.mydomain.com as the default search path.

Avahi doesn't "merge" domains in your searche path. I.e. when using
something that is domains-aware (such as the new avahi-ui dialog) you
can select them from a list, but that is all.

> Then I setup b._dns-sd._udp, etc, to be PTR records pointing to
> sd.mydomain.com.
>
> But avahi-discover doesn't automatically show the services entered on
> the DNS server...

avahi-discover only browses for services in ".local" by default. You
can use av avahi-browse "-d" to browse in other domains.

Yepp. Unfortunately most GUIs don't support clean domain
browsing. avahi-ui does. But not much else.