[avahi] Check unit testing for Avahi

Emanuele Aina faina.mail at tiscali.it
Tue May 29 07:37:05 PDT 2007

Lennart Poettering apprezzò:

>> Trying to get confidence with the codebase I've added support for the
>> Check unit testing system (http://check.sf.net) to Avahi.
>
> Just a small heads-up:
>
> I have not yet looked into this, but I will definitely look into this
> for the next Avahi release. Which will take a while, however.
>
> Please keep up your good work.

Thanks. I plan to continue my work on it, but currently I've been
distracted by other things... :(

I think that the unit testing will become very useful when (if) someone
will start the Windows port, as it can require a bit of refactoring and
the tests are supposed to quickly catch errors.

> Any chance to convince you to stick your stuff to a slightly more
> ... conventional VCS? One that I can actually use without investing 3h
> in reading docs? I am lazy bastard and don't want to learn yet
> another VCS. I already learned a little bit too many: rcs, cvs, svn,
> git, bk. Right now I don't feel that mercurial is missing in that
> list. ;-)

You can always try to forget rcs and cvs, maybe even svn... :)

> Maybe git?

I have no problem with git, as it is very very similar to mercurial and
my main requirement is being distributed. :)

I just tend to prefer Mercurial for these reasons:
- on Windows it's native, without requiring cygwin which can be a
   problem with programs depending on msys (like GTK+)
- its command-line interface is more streamlined than the git one
- comparably fast (faster on diff and annotate, slower on checkout)
- it's written in Python with C extensions for speed (the diff module)
- the mercurial Trac plugin is more mature
- even Linus spends good words about Mercurial ;)
   (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8)
- you already have here a (very small) mercurial contributor (me) :)

Additionaly, if you are already used to Git I don't think you need a lot
of effort to learn Mercurial.

And, no, I'm not on Matt Mackall's payroll. ;P

--
Buongiorno.
Complimenti per l'ottima scelta.