[avahi] closed bug, but still a problem...

Derek Shaw avahi at bisi.ca
Wed Nov 21 09:51:43 PST 2007

"make" fails with this error: ./.libs/libavahi-client.so: undefined reference to `dbus_watch_get_unix_fd'

I see that tickets 155 and 157, having almost identical errors as I am experiencing, have been closed.  But I can find no solution
to my problem.

At first I thought it was not finding the correct path for dbus-1's system.d.  The configure summary indicates  it is looking to
${prefix}/etc/dbus-1/system.d (where ${prefix} is /usr/local).  The actually-installed location for my system is
/etc/dbus-1/system.d.  Configure does report, however, the correct version of dbus-daemon running on my host.

But if I configure with  --sysconfdir=/etc, "make" fails in the same was as described below (although configure's summary points to
the correct value for "dbus-1 system.d dir:")

I would prefer that avahi *does* get installed to /usr/local.  I am stuck at this point, and am reluctant to post this as a bug.
Can anyone tell me what should be my next step?

Thanks in advance for any help.
d.

Here are some details of the situation (please note - word wrap happens at 132 chars)...

=================================
slackware 12, default installation, stock slackware kernel:
=================================
2.6.21.5-smp #2 SMP Tue Jun 19 14:58:11 CDT 2007 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

=================================
configured like this:
=================================
./configure --with-distro=slackware --disable-qt4 --disable-python --disable-mono --enable-tests

=================================
configure finishes normally:
=================================
   ---{ avahi 0.6.21 }---

     prefix:                                    /usr/local
     sysconfdir:                                ${prefix}/etc
     localstatedir:                             ${prefix}/var
     avahi socket:                              ${prefix}/var/run/avahi-daemon/socket
     dbus-1 system.d dir:                       ${prefix}/etc/dbus-1/system.d
     dbus-1 version:                            1.0.2
     dbus-1 system socket:                      unix:path=/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
     C Compiler:                                gcc
     CFLAGS:                                    -g -O2 -fstack-protector -Wall -W -Wextra -pedantic -pipe -Wformat
-Wold-style-definition -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
-Wwrite-strings -Winline -fPIC -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D__EXTENSIONS__
     Enable GLIB:                               yes
     Enable GTK:                                yes
     Enable D-Bus:                              yes
     Enable Expat:                              yes
     Enable GDBM:                               yes
     Enable DBM:                                no
     Enable libdaemon:                          yes
     Enable Python:                             no
     Enable pygtk:                              no
     Enable python-dbus:                        no
     Enable QT3:                                yes
     Enable QT4:                                no
     Enable Mono:                               no
     Enable Monodoc:                            yes
     Distribution/OS:                           slackware
     User for avahi-daemon:                     avahi
     Group for avahi-daemon:                    avahi
     Priviliged access group for Avahi clients: netdev
     User for avahi-autoipd:                    avahi-autoipd
     Group for avahi-autoipd:                   avahi-autoipd
     Enable chroot():                           no
     Enable Linux inotify:                      yes
     Enable stack-smashing protection:          yes

     Building libavahi-core              yes
     Building avahi-daemon:              yes
     Building avahi-dnsconfd:            yes
     Building libavahi-client:           yes
     Building avahi-utils:               yes
     Building avahi-python:              no   (You need python, pygtk and python-dbus!)
     Building libavahi-glib:             yes
     Building avahi-discover-standalone: yes
     Building libavahi-qt3:              yes
     Building libavahi-qt4:              no
     Building avahi-sharp:               no
     Building avahi-compat-libdns_sd:    no
     Building avahi-compat-howl:         no
     Building tests:                     yes
     Building avahi-core documentation:  no
     Building avahi-autoipd:             yes
     Building libavahi-ui:               yes

=================================
make fails like this:
=================================
client-test.c: In function 'avahi_service_browser_callback':
client-test.c:109: warning: passing argument 10 of 'avahi_service_resolver_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
client-test.c: In function 'avahi_host_name_resolver_callback':
client-test.c:165: warning: passing argument 7 of 'avahi_address_resolver_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
client-test.c: In function 'main':
client-test.c:231: warning: passing argument 4 of 'avahi_client_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
client-test.c:253: warning: passing argument 3 of 'avahi_entry_group_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
client-test.c:265: warning: passing argument 8 of 'avahi_domain_browser_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
client-test.c:272: warning: passing argument 7 of 'avahi_service_type_browser_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
client-test.c:278: warning: passing argument 8 of 'avahi_service_browser_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
client-test.c:284: warning: passing argument 8 of 'avahi_host_name_resolver_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
client-test.c:294: warning: passing argument 3 of 'avahi_entry_group_new' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -I.. '-DDEBUG_TRAP=__asm__("int $3")' -g -O2 -fstack-protector -Wall -W -Wextra
-pedantic -pipe -Wformat -Wold-style-definition -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-declarations
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wpointer-arith
-Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Winline -fPIC -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D__EXTENSIONS__   -o client-test
client_test-client-test.o  libavahi-client.la ../avahi-common/libavahi-common.la  -lssp
gcc -I.. "-DDEBUG_TRAP=__asm__(\"int \$3\")" -g -O2 -fstack-protector -Wall -W -Wextra -pedantic -pipe -Wformat
-Wold-style-definition -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
-Wwrite-strings -Winline -fPIC -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D__EXTENSIONS__ -o .libs/client-test client_test-client-test.o
./.libs/libavahi-client.so ../avahi-common/.libs/libavahi-common.so /usr/lib/libssp.so
./.libs/libavahi-client.so: undefined reference to `dbus_watch_get_unix_fd'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [client-test] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/avahi-0.6.21/avahi-client'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/avahi-0.6.21'
make: *** [all] Error 2

--
Derek Shaw
BIS Business Information Systems Inc.