[avahi] Porting Avahi to OpenBSD

Volker.Wiegand at t-online.de Volker.Wiegand at t-online.de
Fri Sep 21 15:35:05 PDT 2007

Hello All,

I am interested in porting (or rather completing the work in progress)
Avahi to OpenBSD.

Before I dig any further (until now I have just offered a patch to
OpenBSD-ports to update libdaemon from 0.11 to 0.12), I would like to
make myself known to this project here and seek consent to continue.

I have switched from (SuSE) Linux to OpenBSD about half a year ago. Both
are fine, but for my purposes (Homeserver for my family) today I prefer
OpenBSD. I have been using Linux since 1994 and writing UNIX software
for a living since the late 80's. From 1999 to 2001 I was actually
employed with SuSE. Today I'm in IT Management of German Railways.

What made me look into Avahi is that my son got his MacBook and I
learned what Bonjour is. Of course that led me to Avahi. Very clean code
base, a pleasure to read.

I wondered why OpenBSD is not supported fully until now. Is it (a) lack
of a maintainer? or (b) technical reasons? or (c) political reasons? If
(a) - I'd like to offer my service. If (b) - same. If (c) - I'll keep my
hands off.

If you are interested in my contribution, please let me know, and I'll
tell you what I have done so far to get it running, and I'd like to ask
a few questions to help me understand and make it first-class platform
(like the pthreads thing).

Okay?
Volker Wiegand