[avahi] Service discovery not working...

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 26 10:59:59 PDT 2008

On Mon, 25.08.08 15:27, snott (skye at f4.ca) wrote:

> Hello avahi-users,
>
> I installed avahi on my FreeBSD box (without X11 etc tools, Python bindings
> only) and by default it publishes a _ssh._tcp service.  Using avahi-0.6.23
> from ports

Your tcpdump is not really useful, since it doesn't include much
information about the actual content of the packets. Also it only
shows packets coming from a single host. Which probably means the mDNS
packets you are sending out never reach the other side.

Maybe you have set up a firewall of some kind?

Also see FAQ #3: http://avahi.org/wiki/Avah4users#FAQ

Also note that I as upstream have never tested FreeBSD support. I rely
solely on patches by other people for it. It's thus not really
support from upstream. Sorry. Try upgrading to Linux ;-)