[avahi] Running a service publisher app and service browser app on the same host

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 11 06:18:37 PST 2008

On Mon, 17.11.08 16:40, Jim Hodapp (james.hodapp at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I am attempting to write 2 applications for an embedded device
> (so I'm using avahi-core and avahi-common) and would like to publish a
> service in one application and browse and display all services from
> like devices on the local network in the other application. However,
> when I start up both of my applications (which need to run at the same
> time), one of them complains about there being another mDNS stack
> running already and this is not advised.
>
> Is it not possible to do what I am trying to accomplish in a safe way?
>
> Is there a way to *share* this stack between the two applications to
> make this safe?

avahi-core is intended to be used in cases where you just want to have
a single process that implements an mDNS stack and thus want to embed
it. It is not recommended to run more than one mDNS stack on the same
host. Instead you should then simply share a single mDNS stack
instance by multiple process, possibly by simply using the
avahi-daemon we ship via D-Bus.