[avahi] Resolving multiple IPV6 address

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 11 06:39:31 PST 2008

On Fri, 07.11.08 09:32, Kevin Ediger (kevin.ediger at licor.com) wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm writing a QT application that uses avahi to resolve IPV4 and IPV6
> addresses. I would like to have avahi return all IPV6 addresses
> registered to a particular host, but I've been unable to resolve more
> than 1. Sometimes I get the link-local and sometimes the globally scoped
> address. I tracked the issue to avahi-core/resolve-service.c in
> record_browser_callback() where it only reports the first address
> resolved.

This is intended behaviour. On the local network it shouldn't matter
which address you use. We only return a single one for simplicity
reasons. Also, we can never know when the response is complete, so it
is difficult to return more than one.

Also note that Avahi will never publish more than one address record
per host, to minimize traffic. So the entire feature is a bit useless
I would say.

> I included a patch that reports all addresses.

Hmm, I won't merge that patch. Sorry.

Right now it is documented that if you keep open a resolver after the
first successful resolving it will inform you about the entity going
away or changing. The way you implemented this would not be
discernable from the case where the RR changes.

Sorry,