[avahi] avahi-daemon stops working after undetermined period of time

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Dec 23 07:46:38 PST 2008

On Tue, 23.12.08 10:35, Brian McKee (map at map-heb.com) wrote:

>>> I know 'it quits working sometimes' isn't much of a bug report :-)
>>> I'd
>>> like some suggestions on how I can better determine what's making it
>>> stop
>>> and when.
>>
>> Have you checked syslog?
> and as of now (10.30) it's not working again.  There's no more avahi
> related entries in the log

Hmm, could you please run "avahi-daemon --debug" in a terminal (as
root of course) and then let it run? As soon as Avahi
crashes/terminates you should then see some kind of message in that
terminal that explains what is going on.

Even better would be to run it inside gdb and then get a backtrace
when it crashes:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Backtrace