[avahi] Problem seeing available services

Dave Lazar hunkybill at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 06:46:33 PST 2008

Hi,

On Feb 12, 2008 9:33 AM, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 12.02.08 09:21, Dave Lazar (hunkybill at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> Hi!

> point
> > > me
> that
> the
> > > server
> > >
> > > FAQ #15?
>
> Oh, BTW I am sorry for responding three times with the same
> wisecracking response, I wasn't aware I was responding to the same guy
> all the time. ;-)

No problem.. I would do the same thing in your position.

> > It would be nice if there was a collection linked to this item
> presenting
> > the network drivers that exhibit this problem. If this is such a
> frequent
> > problem, then the list must be pretty easy to populate. I mysel used to
> use
> > the ipw3945 with no real ill effects, yet my investigations led me to
> > erroneously believe my world would be rocked if I switched to the much
> > improved iwl3945 driver. Now that I have done that and see that avahi on
> my
> > local interface wlan0 no longer works, it is perplexing. Is it truly
> this
> > driver. I have a VPN interface glued onto wlan0 called ham0, which is
> > showing the services offered by my server, so clearly, the network card
> and
> > driver are working fine on that subnet.
>
> This is Free Software and our web site -- including the FAQ -- is a
> wiki. You're welcome to make any changes you believe are suitable. To
> do this all that is necessary is registering (this is mostly spam
> protection, not even an email adress required) on the web site.

Of course..Amazing how few people choose to actually do writing for a good
cause.

> Free Software relies on the user's contributions! So be assured that
> we are happy about every user contributed change to our wiki! (except
> for wiki spamming changes, of course ;-) )
>
> > How is it explained that 192.168.1.0/32 does not work but 5.0.0.0/32 on
> the
> > same card/driver combo does work??? If multicast is broken, would that
> not
> > nullify the VPN too?
>

> > Interesting...
>
> /32?

I was only trying to say 192.168.1.0 through 192.168.1.255 as 192.168.1.0/32
which I guess i got wrong... sorry!

> That looks very suspicious to me.
>
> Please note that mDNS is not really suitable for usage over VPNs. FAQ #9.

I am not purposely using the VPN but my notebook, with Hamachi VPN running
and my server running Hamachi VPN, allows my Bansee music player to take
advantage of music sharing over the ham0 interface . Since I cannot get
wlan0 to show the server... for whatever reason... the ham0 will do..
whether it is not suitable or suitable... it works...

Thanks for your time, I will continue to fight through this obnoxious
interface problem by concentrating perhaps on the iwl3945 driver and
multicast issues.. see if perhaps others have same problem...

Dave