[avahi] help with avahi-browse please

Dave Lazar hunkybill at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 18:09:09 PST 2008

Hi,

I am still trying to figure out how to get avahi-browse on my workstation to
find the server on my network. I have just tested a second workstation
booting Ubuntu 7.10 (the same as my problem machine) on the network and it
sees the server services fine. The difference is in the networking. The
machine working is wired and all the services discovered and visible via
browsing show up tied to eth0. My other non-working machine is wireless,
uses wlan0 as the wireless network connection via wicd.

Is there some way to debug this issue? I have no firewall running on either
machine. For some reason, my wireless laptop running Ubuntu 7.10 just
refuses to discover any outside network services. I can browse the server
using Samba OK.. SSH... just not avahi???

Comparing the avahi-daemon.conf files - they are the same. avahi-daemon is
running on both. The workstation with wired eth0 and DHCP works, the laptop
with wireless (via Wicd) and wlan0 and DHCP refuses to browse....

Any tips???

Thanks