[avahi] accept(): Too many open files

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Wed Mar 26 09:04:55 PDT 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 7:57 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Is it possible that you you are running a log file reverse dns
> resolution software that puts a high pressure on the NSS and thus
> nss-mdns?

I haven't done the work to be conclusive yet, but it's likely to be
webalizer or awstats, or a combination of the two, running heavily at
4am each day.  I'm using Virtualmin to manage the webstat scheduling,
so I'm not scheduling things by hand, and therefore I'm not sure
exactly what combination is running then.

However, the but report I cited earlier in the thread mentions
webalizer as the root of these errors as well -- http://
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=461181

> Please check the value of rlimit-nofile in
> /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf and try to increase it (300 perhaps)
> and see if the issue goes away.

This seems to solve the errors.  I guess the question now is, is this
a reasonable solution?  Assuming this is simply webstats overloading
nss-mdns, is this the way to handle it?  I'm new to avahi, and I
don't fully understand it yet.

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards