[avahi] accept(): Too many open files

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Mar 26 09:13:06 PDT 2008

On Wed, 26.03.08 09:04, Mark Edwards (mark at antsclimbtree.com) wrote:

> This seems to solve the errors.  I guess the question now is, is this
> a reasonable solution?  Assuming this is simply webstats overloading
> nss-mdns, is this the way to handle it?  I'm new to avahi, and I
> don't fully understand it yet.

Yes, this is a reasonable way I guess. I picked some pretty
conservative values for the default rlimits. Apparently they were
chosen a bit too low for some purposes, such as yours.

I wonder what the default number of parallel host name lookups is that
those log file analyzers issue in parallel. We could then just pick
some better default value for our rlimits that is a bit above this and
be happy.

Could you please find out how many lookups analog/webalizer issue in
parallel for me at max?