[avahi] accept(): Too many open files

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Wed Mar 26 13:48:16 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 26.03.08 09:04, Mark Edwards (mark at antsclimbtree.com) wrote:
>
>> This seems to solve the errors.  I guess the question now is, is this
>> a reasonable solution?  Assuming this is simply webstats overloading
>> nss-mdns, is this the way to handle it?  I'm new to avahi, and I
>> don't fully understand it yet.
>
> Yes, this is a reasonable way I guess. I picked some pretty
> conservative values for the default rlimits. Apparently they were
> chosen a bit too low for some purposes, such as yours.
>
> I wonder what the default number of parallel host name lookups is that
> those log file analyzers issue in parallel. We could then just pick
> some better default value for our rlimits that is a bit above this and
> be happy.
>
> Could you please find out how many lookups analog/webalizer issue in
> parallel for me at max?

Well, it is variable.  Webalizer doesn't do any by default, but if
you enable dns lookups it defaults to 5 parallel, I think.  The key
in my situation is that I have several instances of webalizer going
at 4am, along with some awstats instances.  Clearly these team up to
exceed 30 lookups.

300 seems good to me, if you think that isn't too optimistic
performance-wise.  Ultimately, this number is going to vary wildly
depending on the installation.

--
Mark Edwards