[avahi] Advertising multiple printer queues using Avahi

Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos miguel at anjos.strangled.net
Sun May 11 05:42:59 PDT 2008

(sorry for the previous incomplete post)

Hi,

After having a new Mac in the house, I'm trying to advertise network services
such as printers using avahi. I'm following information found on
http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html and, specifically regarding printers,
found on http://developer.apple.com/networking/bonjour/BonjourPrinting.pdf.

By reading a previous post on this mailing list,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2007-April/001039.html, I found out
that avahi composed the necessary TXT record out of several txt-record elements on
the avahi.service file.

In this fashion, a file such as:
    <txt-record>txtvers=1</txt-record>
    <txt-record>qtotal=1</txt-record>
    <txt-record>rp=printers/EPSON_Stylus_Photo_820_USB_1</txt-record>
    <txt-record>ty=EPSON SP820 Series</txt-record>

ends up generating a single TXT record (I gather) with add those name/value
pairs merged together.

Now, according to the BonjourPrinting.pdf, a server advertising multiple queues (say
2) should publish separate TXT records for each queue, each containing the qtotal=2 pair.

How can I achieve having more than one TXT record for the same service?

- If I have several txt-record elements, they all get merged together.
- If I have several service elements inside service-group, the file seems to be
ignored by avahi-daemon (seems to be not allowed).
- Do I need multiple files? Isn't there any sort of collision problem?

I would appreciate any information, I'm very new to this subject.

Thank you,

Miguel Ramos,
Lisboa, Portugal.