[avahi] Advertising multiple printer queues using Avahi

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun May 11 06:15:45 PDT 2008

On Sun, 11.05.08 13:42, Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos (miguel at anjos.strangled.net) wrote:

> How can I achieve having more than one TXT record for the same
> service?

You cannot do this with static service definition files. It's very
very uncommon to do so, Sorry. You can do this only when talking
to Avahi as a normal D-Bus client.

> - If I have several service elements inside service-group, the file seems to be
> ignored by avahi-daemon (seems to be not allowed).

Having multiple services in the same group should work fine, but
requires different service names/types for each service you define.
It's not what you want to do here anyway.

> - Do I need multiple files? Isn't there any sort of collision
> problem?

You basically need to hack your own client. No way around it.

BTW, you know that CUPS links fine against Avahi these days (via our
Bonjour compat)? CUPS can register printers properly by itself, no
need for manual intervention.