[avahi] BUG/BYDESIGN avahi_entry_group_add_service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 13 06:01:22 PDT 2008

On Tue, 13.05.08 15:49, Stefan de Konink (avahi at ml.kinkrsoftware.nl) wrote:

> host 	The host this services is residing on. We recommend to pass NULL
> here, the daemon will than automatically insert the local host name in
> that case

I figure this is an except from the service registration docs?

> It is strange:
>
> 1) Avahi doesn't allow an IP address as host

It's not a limitation of Avahi. It is a limitation of DNS-SD. DNS-SD
service definitions contain references to host names, not to IP
addresses. Registration of IP adresses is done by Avahi itself and
anyway, regardless if any services are registered or not, and
regardless on which interfaces a service is registered.

> 2) Ignores the host completely, and if the host is correct it will still
> export *all* (public/private) IPs. (like it was NULL)

Avahi registers A/AAAA records for all relevant interfaces automatically.