[avahi] Is it possible to have multiple names for a host

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Tue Apr 14 04:21:13 PDT 2009

On Monday 13 April 2009, Alan Chandler wrote:

> Is it possible therefore, for each machine to define for itself
> several names to be resolved within the .local domain?  If so how.

I tried several experiments with both the /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
file (using multiple host-name= lines) and the /etc/avahi/hosts file,
and I can't seem to allocate more than one name to a single ip address.
The hosts file doesn't support aliases (despite the man page saying it
is similar to the /etc/hosts file) nor repeating the ip address on
multiple lines and adding just one name per line

Any other ideas?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk