[avahi] Disappearing and reappearing service if a text is changed

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 26 15:04:26 PDT 2009

On Mon, 25.05.09 15:57, Florian Erfurth (f.erfurth at reel-multimedia.com) wrote:

> Hi, I wrote two applications (1 for server and 1 for client). On
> Server-Side a service-file (in /etc/avahi/services/...) is written if
> service-text is changed. Sometimes on Client I got such DEBUG-Info:
> avahithread.c(203): service REMOVE: service='Floh' type='_boxMySQL._tcp'
> domain='local'
> avahithread.c(195): NEW: service='Floh' type='_boxMySQL._tcp'
> domain='local'

Seems like the servcie refresh packets didn't get through.

> Which means, the service disappeared and reappeared which is really ugly
> for clients. :( It would help me if you could tell me why this happens
> (and maybe how it can be avoided).
> And seldom such bad thing happens (which must not happen :( ):
> (Resolver) Failed to resolve service 'Floh' of type '_boxMySQL._tcp' in
> domain 'local': Timeout reached
>
> Is there a way to get out why Timeout is reached?

The timeout is reached because we didn't get a reply in time.

You probably have some kind of packet loss on your network (or in the
local queuing).

mDNS is not a reliable protocol, by design. You should not make
reliability assumptions it cannot provide.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net