[avahi] Remotely configure IP

felixonta at gmail.com felixonta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 10:59:22 PDT 2010

El 21/04/2010 16:08, Carlos Castro <carloscastro7 at gmail.com> escribió:
> Hi everyone!

> I want to remotely change a machine IP, so I can configure it exactly

> the way I want. So I'm using avahi to use Zeroconf and publish this

> machine on the network. Now that I can find it, I wonder if there is

> some kind of software ou command, so I can configure it's IP address

> from my workstation... I know I could use telnet ou ssh to connect to

> this machine and change from there, but I want to know if such

> software exists.

> Thanks,

> Carlos Castro

I don't know if this could be a solution for you. In Guadalinfo project (a
telecenter
network in Andalusia, Spain), the clients machine publish their ip/mac by a
zeroconf
service using avahi.

The server machine has an app that listen for clients zeroconf service.
This machine
serves dhcp too, so when a new client-machine it's discovered, the app can
set a
specific ip-address for the MAC in dhcp3-server configuration.

I don't know about a specific software that can change/set the ip address
of other
machines than dhcp. I can give you implementation details if it's a good
solution
for what you've been asking for.

Cheers!