[avahi] Remotely configure IP

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Apr 25 12:38:58 PDT 2010

On Wed, 21.04.10 15:08, Carlos Castro (carloscastro7 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I want to remotely change a machine IP, so I can configure it exactly
> the way I want. So I'm using avahi to use Zeroconf and publish this
> machine on the network. Now that I can find it, I wonder if there is
> some kind of software ou command, so I can configure it's IP address
> from my workstation... I know I could use telnet ou ssh to connect to
> this machine and change from there, but I want to know if such
> software exists.

Nope. Avahi cannot do that for you.

Changing IP adresses remotely is problematic due to security concerns, so
this should probably done only via an authenticated protocol, and no
protocol Avahi implements is that.

IIRC DHCP has a command for updating client configuration for active
leases. You might want to investigate that.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net